Q. What is consortium loan?
Consortium loan allows students, faculty, and staff of a Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) member institution to borrow books from any of the other WRLC libraries.
UDC students, faculty, and staff are welcome to borrow circulating materials from any of the nine Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) member institutions.
The collection information for all member libraries is included in the shared catalog.
While you may visit any of the member libraries in person to borrow materials, this can also be done online and requested materials will be delivered to the Learning Resources Division at UDC.
You may not request books or articles that are already available at UDC unless they are checked out, lost, or missing.
- Search the catalog for the item.
- If it is listed as available at UDC, go in person to LRD and check it out from there.
- If it is not available at UDC but is listed as available at another WRLC library, it can be requested through CLS.
- Click on the red “Request” link.
- Log in to My Library Account with your last name, university ID or library barcode number, and choose “District of Columbia” as institution. Remember, your ID number must first be activated before you can use it. This requires one visit in person to LRD.
- You will then see a form showing the requested title and your delivery location. Fill in your university ID or library barcode number at the bottom and leave all other fields blank, unless you need delivery to the Community College (801 North Capitol Street) location. Indicate this in the "Special Instructions" field.
- Click “Submit Request.”
- In 3–5 days, the item will arrive at the LRD Circulation Desk (level 5) (or at the Community College resource room 211). You will receive notification by email when your materials are ready. Items must be picked up within 10 days.
- You can always check on the status of your requests using My Library Account and you can also subscribe to an RSS feed of your requests by clicking the RSS icon.
- These items may be renewed online through My Library Account. When you are finished with materials they may be returned to any WRLC library. Be aware that you are responsible for any fines that may accrue. These must be paid at the item’s home library.
- Materials not held by any consortium library may be requested through interlibrary loan.